Wolves’s Band of Brothers

A fascinating ‘off-topic’ post by Peter Crump which explores some famous and not-so-famous siblings who have been associated with Wolves down the years…

During the course of the Wolves Season Stories, and as many will know, a lot of research was conducted. This allowed me to compile various lists and stats for our club. One was some of the brothers who have represented Wolves. Some have played in the same team; some were at the Club at the same time and some not. I have also extended this to off field personnel too. Some you will remember; some you will have heard of and some maybe you haven’t. I have also not limited this to the first team as you will see. If you know anymore let me know.

Bennett Brothers

Both Elliot and Kyle Bennett were on the Wolves books. Both brothers were from Telford. Elliott Bennett was a winger. Elliott the elder of the two brothers never played a league game for Wolves. Elliott joined us in 1997 at the age of 9. He turned professional in March 2007. He did make the first team squad on a few occasions. He did feature in two League Cup ties, both in August 2007. On 15th August 2007 Elliott appeared against Bradford City at home in the 1st Round, a game which Wolves won 2.1 with Freddy Eastwood and Jody Craddock scoring. Elliott then appeared in the next round in our home tie against Morecambe on 28th August 2007. We were of course dumped out the competition at the 2nd Round stage by the Shrimps at Molineux when they beat us 3.1 in a game that went to Extra Time. Elliott Bennett never appeared at any other time for Wolves first team. One of his assets was his pace and when he was young, he was a very talented 200 metre runner. Despite not featuring at Wolves much Elliott Bennett has gone onto have a very good career. He had loan spells at Crewe and Bury whilst he was with us. Whilst at Crewe, he scored his first professional goal when Crewe played Port Vale at Vale Park on 6th November 2007. Bennett moved from Wolves in August 2009 when he transferred to Brighton. In 2010/2011 Elliott won his first major career honour with Brighton as they won the League 1 Championship. Bennett that season was one of their highest appearance makers. After 2 years at Brighton, he then moved onto Norwich. He played in the Premier League for Norwich. He also played with another former Wolves player in Andrew Surman and of course John Ruddy was the keeper in some of Bennett’s time at Norwich. In 2012/2013 Elliott Bennett appeared for Norwich in the league cup against Doncaster. In the opposition that day was his younger brother Kyle. Elliott Bennett was part of the Norwich squad that won the play offs in 2015. His time at Norwich was disrupted however with a nasty knee ligament injury. After Norwich Elliott moved onto Blackburn where he still is now. He did suffer a relegation with Blackburn however helped them get straight back with a League One Runners Up medal in 2017/2018. He was the Blackburn Club captain last season a role he ironically took over from former Wolf Charlie Mulgrew when he left Rovers for Wigan. Elliott’s brother already mentioned, Kyle Bennett is an attacking midfielder. He also is pacey like his brother. Kyle initially began playing for us when he was 7 but officially signed in 1999. He became a professional in March 2009. Kyle was released in 2010 and never appeared for the first team. He has also gone on to have a very good career. He initially joined Bury before joining Doncaster where he played most of his professional games so far. At Donnie he did play briefly under Dean Saunders. He was also at Donnie when Carl Ikeme was there on loan. Kyle also spent some time at Crawley Town and Bradford City on loan. After 4 years at Donnie he moved to Portsmouth. Bennett did briefly play under Kenny Jackett at Pompey towards the end of his time there. After Pompey Kyle Bennett then joined Bristol Rovers and is still there now however, he is currently out on loan at Grimsby Town. Bennett also had some time at Swindon Town on loan last season. Neither of the Bennetts of course played much for Wolves and in Kyles case he didn’t make the first team at all but both have gone onto have a career out of the game and are both still playing. You have to be good to make it as a professional.

The Birch Brothers

Both Alan Birch and Paul Birch have of course represented Wolves. Alan joined us in 1981 and Paul a decade later in 1991. Both brothers were born in West Bromwich. Alan Birch was a winger and played 16 times for Wolves. All of his appearance’s came in the 1981/1982 season. This was of course the season that Wolves were relegated from Division 1. This was the same season John Barnwell left, Ian Ross became the caretaker manager briefly and then of course Ian Greaves came in at the back end of the campaign. This was on the run up to the first near bankruptcy. Alan Birch was signed from Chesterfield but had played many games for Walsall by the time he had arrived at Molineux. Birch made his Wolves debut on the opening day of the 81/82 campaign against Liverpool in a game we won 1.0 when Mick Matthews scored the goal. Birch was sold to Barnsley towards the end of the campaign. It is highly likely due to the fact we needed the money as Birch had signed a 4-year contract. Birch then played for Barnsley, Chesterfield again, Rotherham United and Scunthorpe United. Stockport County was his final professional club. Alans younger brother Paul Birch joined Wolves in 1991 after a successful time at Aston Villa. Paul Birch began playing for the Villa first team just after they had won the European Cup. He actually featured as a sub in the European Super Cup in 1982 against Barcelona. He did suffer a relegation with the Villa but then a promotion under our friend Graham Taylor. He was also there when he finished 2nd in Division 1 in 1989/1990. Birch was very popular with the fans at Villa Park. Paul Birch joined Wolves in January 1991 just under a decade after his big brother. He was pretty much a guaranteed starter under Graham Turner but he didn’t play quite as much under Graham Taylor. He was released in the Summer of 1996 and went onto play for Doncaster, Exeter and Halesowen Town. He also had a brief loan spell at Preston whilst he was at Wolves. Paul Birch played over 170 times for Aston Villa and over 140 for us. He is a without doubt a very well-respected footballer in this part of the world. Sadly, as we know Paul Birch passed away in February 2009 years ahead of his time due to serious illness. Even I remember Paul Birch when I was a kid. He was a good footballer. My memory of Birchy that is in my head right now is when we played Forest in the League Cup in 1994.

The Crook Brothers

Bill and Alf were two brothers who played together in the same Wolves team. Both Crook brothers were local men too and both joined us originally from Boulton and Pauls. Alf was born in Brewood and Bill was born in Cannock. Alf joined in 1942 and Bill in 1943.Both Crook brothers played for Wolves during the War years. Older brother Alf only played twice for the Wolves first team in competitive matches. Both of these came in Stan Cullis first season in 1948/1949. Alf’s debut was on 2nd April 1949 in the FA Cup Semi Final Replay at Goodison Park. This game saw Wolves beat Manchester United 1.0. This also of course took us to the Final where we beat Leicester City 3.1 in the first trophy of the Stan Cullis Era. Alf’s only other first team appearance was 4 days later on 6th April 1949 in Wolves 0.0 draw at Anfield. Of course, Alf never played a first team game at Molienux and ironically both of his appearances were either side of Stanley Park in Liverpool. He did however in both games play in the same Wolves team as his brother William or more commonly known as Bill Crook. Alf played both his games at Right Back. Bill however was a wing half. He played for us 221 times and scored 3 goals. Bill was a big part of the two seasons when Ted Vizard was the manager and the near title miss in 1946/1947. He was also a key part of the very early Stan Cullis team. His career high was of course as a member of our 1949 FA Cup winning team. Bill Crook played in every game of that Cup run. It was really the emergence of Ron Flowers when Bill Crooks first team appearances began to dwindle. In 1952/1953 Crook played 10 games. His final Wolves appearance was on 27th September 1952 in our 2.1 win at Chelsea. Ron Flowers then played the next game. Bill left for Walsall in 1953. Bill then played for non-league Wellington Town who of course ended up becoming Telford United. Both brothers remained local until they passed away. Chapman Cavan and Campbell Chapman both joined Wolves in the mid-1980s. Younger brother Cavan joined the club first in July 1984. Cavan had played for Billson Town before his arrival. Cavan appeared in the youth and reserves. On Saturday 23rd February 1985 Wolves made the trip to Ninian Park to face Cardiff City in Division 2. This of course saw Cavan make his only ever first team appearance and he appeared in the same Wolves team as his brother, Campbell. Cavan was a striker and on that day in South Wales he played up front with Peter Eastoe who had of course returned to Wolves that year on loan from West Brom after he had played a few times for us in the early 1970s. This was of course Cavan’s only ever appearance and therefore his debut. After Wolves Cavan then played locally in the non league system. It was of course the first time two sets of brothers had appeared in the same Wolves first team since Bill and Alf Crook at Liverpool in 1949. It is also the final time to date that this has happened. It must also be noted that Cavan was very young when he made his first team debut at 17 years and 165 days. Older brother Campbell did not join Wolves straight away and also played at Bilston. Campbell joined at the back end of the calendar year of 1984. The first time Wolves fans saw Campbell was when he appeared as a sub on 29th December 1984 in our 4.0 loss away at Manchester City. Campbell then came on as sub again in the home game against Carlisle on New Year’s Day 1985. Campbell made his first full debut in the FA Cup 3rd Round tie against Huddersfield at Molineux on 5th January 1985. Fans may remember this game. The Huddersfield FA Cup home game was the only time Wolves scored a goal at Molineux from 17th November 1984 when we drew 3.3 with Wimbledon until 13th April 1985 when we lost 2.1 to Oxford. It was Campbell Chapman who finally scored the illusive league goal after 1002 minutes against Oxford. As can be have seen the only goal at Molienux in this period was John Pender in the FA Cup 3rd Round, Campbells full debut. Campbell played in total 51 times. He appeared 6 times from the bench and scored 4 goals. His first ever Wolves goal was on 26th January 1985 in the away game at Sheffield United. That effort against Oxford that broke the awful run was Campbells first ever Molineux goal. Campbell made all his appearances in 1984/1985 and 1985/1986 which was of course were number 2 and 3 of the 3 successive relegations. Campbell Chapman now resides in the USA and his brother Cavan lives in Australia. Campbell some may remember was part of the team that opened a Bar in Wolverhampton called Amici Mai. This was of course the bar that David Platt owned in the Old Chubb Lock Building during the early to mid-1990s when Wolverhampton went through a rather big up lift in its night life on the back of the Acid House and Rave Scene.

The Chapman brothers

Campbell and Cavan were of course as we all know the sons of Sammy Chapman. Sammy was Chief Scout when both brothers arrived at Wolves. Of course, Sammy went onto be our manager in two spells, both in the troubled 1985/1986 season when were relegated from Division 3. Sammy was the manager at the start of the season until Bill McGarry arrived for his ill-fated 61 day stay. Sammy then came back after McGarry had left. Chapman however discovered some very good players for Wolves that helped turn our club around, Andy Mutch being the most famous, but also Mickey Holmes who played for us in the early turnaround. Holmes final game was of course the Sherpa Van Final in 1988. Chapman also discovered Neil Edwards who was of course sadly stopped in his tracks with two bad injury’s. Vince Bartram was another and although he didn’t play much for Wolves, he still gave us 6 years’ service. Another one of Chapmans discoveries win 1982, a keeper by the name of Timothy Flowers. Sammy was of course originally brought to the Wolves in the early Allied Property and Bhatti era by Derek Dougan as both knew one another. Of course, both were from Belfast. Sammy Chapman, I have heard on numerous occasions was also a really nice bloke who genuinely cared about what he was doing. He was arguably the Wolves Manager who managed us at our all-time low and had the most difficult circumstances out of any Wolves manager.

The Clarke brothers

A footballing dynasty was created in Willenhall when 5 brothers from the same family all made it as professional football players. Allan, Kelvin and Frank were 3 of the 5 brothers. The other two Derek and Wayne were the others and both represented our club. Derek Clarke joined Wolves in 1968. Derek was a striker. He made his Wolves debut on 22nd March 1969 in our away game at Stoke. This game saw Wolves lose 4.1. Clarke then made two further appearances from the bench that season too. On the 7th February 1970 Derek played again in our 2.2 draw at home to Tottenham Hotspur. Derek Clarke then left Wolves and moved to Oxford Untied where he played for 6 years with distinction. Derek also played for Orient and was there when they got to the FA Cup Semi Final in 1978. Derek also had a brief spell on loan at Carlisle. Wolves of course had the youngest of the Clarke brothers too, Wayne Clarke joined Wolves in 1977 and left in 1984. During this spell he played 147 times and scored 33 goals. He also appeared 24 times from the bench. Wayne was of course part of our promotion winning team in 1982/1983 under Graham Hawkins. He was also on standby for the League Cup Final in 1980. If Andy Gray did not get that suspension out of the way at that Villa away game it is highly likely that either Wayne Clarke or Norman Bell would have played. Wolves sold Wayne Clarke to Birmingham City in 1984.Wayne also won promotion with Birmingham in 1985 from Division 2. He picked up a Division 1 title with Everton in 1987 and a Division 3 promotion with Shrewsbury in 1994. Some fans will also remember it was Wayne Clarke who scored for Everton against us in the Mercantile Football Centenary Trophy in 1988. This was of course the game where Robbie Dennison scored a beauty. Clarke returned very briefly to Wolves in 1990 on loan from Manchester City but he only played one game and got injured. Wayne Clarke was also part of a transfer deal that affected Wolves when he moved from Birmingham City to Everton in 1987. This was a deal that included Wayne Clarke and Stuart Storer. Storer was a reserve striker. The transfer fee was around £300,000. There was we believe a sell on clause for Clarke so it would have meant that Wolves were owed some of the money, the deal was brokered so Wolves did not receive hardly anything as Everton paid technically most of the fee for Storer and next to nothing for Clarke. It is often suggested that this was so that Blues could recover some of the money they reportedly lost when they sold us Joe Gallagher in 1981. It is reported Wolves did not pay hardly any of the transfer fee for Gallagher as of course Wolverhampton Wanderers Est 1923 went out of business in the Summer of 1982 and a new company Wolverhampton Wanderers Est 1982 was set up. I know it was controversial at the time I believe. All the Clarkes were forwards except for Kelvin who was a defender. All Clarkes also interestingly played for Walsall with the exception of Frank who never played for the Saddlers. Of course, they were all good as they all made professional. Kelvin did not play that many games however as his career was sadly ended in 1978 due to an ankle injury. All the other 4 brothers played many games. Of course, Allan is a Leeds United legend and one of the best strikers of his era. All of the brothers were great at what they did that’s for sure.

The Deacon brothers

Deacon Jimmy and Richard Deacon were both at Wolves at the same time. Both Deacon brothers were born in Glasgow. Richard “Dickie” Deacon the younger of the two brothers joined us in 1930 the year after his brother from Darlington. All 3 of Dickies appearances came in 1930/1931 season. He made his debut on 7th March 1931 in Wolves 1.0 loss to Bury at Gigg Lane. Dickie then played in the next game on 11th March 1931 in the home game against Port Vale. Wolves won this game 3.0 and Dickie Deacon scored one of the goals. Dickies 3rd and final appearance in the Wolves first team came on 7th April 1931 in our home game against Bradford Park Avenue. Wolves drew the game 1.1. In 1932 Dickie Deacon then moved onto West Ham where ironically, he played with his other brother John Deacon. Dickie Deacon only played 3 times for West Ham also before he moved to Chelsea where he did not play but did take up the role as a trainer. Glenavon, Northampton and Lincoln City were his final stops before he retired. He did make some guest appearance for Northampton during the War however. It was older brother Jimmy Deacon however who was the star out of the Deacon brothers. Jimmy joined us in 1929 for a transfer fee of around £250 from Darlington. Jimmy then went onto to score 56 goals in 158 appearances before he left in 1934. During his time at Wolves, he had a very good partnership with the famous goal machine that was Billy Hartill. Jimmy Deacon was high on the goal scoring charts for 4 seasons. He scored double figures in all of his Wolves seasons with the exception of first and his final season. Jimmy Deacon only played a few times in the Division 2 title winning campaign of 1931/1932 but he was part a Wolves team that steadily improved us and he helped set us up for the Division 2 title campaign in the early Major Buckley era. Jimmy Deacon moved on in 1934 and he played for Southend United for 5 years. He played a lot of games for Southend but was nowhere near as prolific as he had been at Wolves. His final club was Hartlepool. After the War Jimmy returned to Glasgow where he became a Publican. Both brothers were forwards or inside lefts in old money and they never appeared in the same Wolves team. This was due to them playing the same position as Richard Dickie Deacon replaced his brother directly in the team in all 3 of his appearances when Jimmy was injured.

The Dougherty brothers

Dougherty Paul Dougherty aka PEE WEE is one of the smallest players we have ever had play for us if not the smallest. Dougherty in stature makes Daniel Podence look tall. Pee Wee is 5 foot 2. He told the hilarious tale in Jason Guys podcast of how on his debut on 28th April 1984 against West Brom at home the ref thought he was only counting 10 Wolves players at the start of the game. The ref thought Pee Wee was the mascot. This was of course the final Black Country Derby until 1989. Pee Wee was given his debut under Assistant Manager Jim Barron who of course took over as Caretaker Manager after Graham Hawkins had been sacked at the back end of 1983/1984, relegation 1 of the 3 in a row. Barron gave a couple of the youngsters either a game or run in the team such as Pee Wee, Martin Bayly and one game for local lad Joe Jackson. Dougherty began playing youth football for the Wolves in 1982/1983. Pee Wee played for us from 1982 to 1987. Pee Wee is also one Wolves player who has represented us in all Four Divisions of the Football League. He has also represented us in The League Cup, FA Cup and the Associate Members Cup (Freight Rover). Ironically however one Wolves player can boast all of this and one more competition. That is Geoff Palmer who can add all of these plus UEFA Cup participation. Pee Wee of course made appearances under Jim Barron, Tommy Doc, Sammy Chapman, Billy McGarry (second spell) and Graham Turner. He did not feature under Brian Little however. Pee Wee ended up leaving Wolves in 1987 and went to play football in the USA, playing indoor and outdoor soccer. Dougherty did also have a small amount of time at Torquay on loan during his Wolves days. The only other English team he has played for is Cheltenham Town in 1990 but that was only one game. He did have a trial at Walsall under Kenny Hibbitt in the early 1990s too. Some may remember Pee Wee scored two goals in the Freight Rover on 16th December 1986 in our 4.3 win over Harry Redknapp’s Bournemouth at Molineux. This was not that long before he left. This of course was in the very early Steve Bull days. In the same game Bully scored his 3rd and 4th Wolves goals. Dougherty’s brother Norman Dougherty was also at Wolves for a very short time. He never played for the first team only reserves and youth football. He did play for Crewe very briefly but then played in New Zealand and Australia. Norman was part of the 1984/1985 youth team that also included at one stage or another during the season, Pee Wee, David Heywood, Joe Jackson, Tim Flowers, Graham Rodger, Darren Wright, Richard Smith and one of the stars of The Moment of Truth, Steve Blackwell. Cavan Chapman was also in this youth team too.

The Griffiths brothers

Griffiths There were 3 sets of brothers who played for us in our formative years. They were Jack (John), Hillary and Jabez Griffiths. Jack only played 13 times for us between 1913 and 1919 and scored 2 goals towards the real back end of his career. Jabez played twice in 1883/1884. It was Hilary Griffiths who made the most impressive number of outings with 201 between 1889 and 1901. All 3 of the brothers from the local area in the Wednesfield and Willenhall area.

The Hayward brothers

Hayward Of course, Sir Jack Hayward owned the place from 1990 until he sold Wolves to Steve Morgan in 2007. Of course, two of his sons worked for Wolves in the meantime. There was of course Jonathan Hayward who was our Chairman from 1992 when he succeeded Jack Harris in this role. He was also on the board straight away in 1990 after the takeover. Jonathan was the Chairman until September 1997. Reading between the lines this was of course not long after the so called Golden Tit speech after the loss to Crystal Palace in the 1997 play offs in which Sir Jack did vent some of his frustration at both Mark McGhee and Jonathan. The feud was repaired in the end we believe as Jonathan returned to receive the book of condolence for his father in August 2015.Rick Hayward was also the Wolves Chairman from December 2003 where he succeeded his father. He did this role until the end of the 2006/2007 season. Rick Hayward was then again succeeded by his father. Sir Jacks Grandson Rupert Hayward was also on the board briefly in the early Steve Morgan tenure but he was only on the board for a year.

The Hoddle Brothers

Hoddle Of course, neither Glenn or Carl Hoddle played for Wolves but they both represented us. Glenn Hoddle took the managers job at Wolves in December 2004 where he succeeded Dave Jones ironically the same Manager that he took over the Southampton job in 2000. Hoddle was the Wolves manager until July 2006. He actually resigned on 1st July 2006. Many will remember this day for this reason and also the England V Portugal game in the World Cup Quarter Final in Germany. Hoddle was of course the Wolves manager for the remainder of 2004/2005 where we finished 9th. In his only full season in charge, we finished 7th however we were 8 points of the play offs. Hoddle of course is remembered for signing a few players for Wolves. Rohan Ricketts, Mikkel Bischoff were early loan signings before moving here permanently. There were also Hungarians Gabor Gypes and Denes Rosa, Scots Maurice Ross and Jackie McNamara, Dutch goalkeeper Stefan Postma. We also saw former England International Darren Anderton join the club. Of course, the final piece of the jigsaw was the Pole Tomasz Frankowski who never scored a goal. We also saw the loan captures of French striker Jeremie Aliadiere and Tom Huddlestone who did quite well in his brief stay at Wolves. Hoddle did oversee our longest ever unbeaten run which was 21 games between 15th January 2005 when we beat West Ham United 4.2 at home until the 20th August 2005. During this spell of 21 games, we did draw 11 of them however. Incidentally the first game of this run which was the West Ham game was the debut of Mark Noble who is of course still at West Ham now. On the coaching staff during Glenn Hoddles times was also Glenn’s younger brother Carl. Carl Hoddle was a midfielder who began at Spurs but did not make the first team and he ended up playing for Barnet and Leyton Orient most notably in the professional game. Whilst Carl was at Barnet in January 1994, he faced his brother in the FA Cup when Barnet played Chelsea who Glenn was by then the Player manager. The game actually ended 0.0 at Underhill before Chelsea won the replay 4.0. Chelsea got to the final that year and as you will remember and they beat us in the Quarter Final in March 1994 at Stamford Bridge. Gavin Peacock scoring a very good goal to narrowly win the tie 1.0. Wolves fans who travelled that day will remember it was the last time they would have seen to Old Shed End. Carl was hired by his brother at Wolves on 10th December 2004. Carl was a Scout and also did some coaching. He sadly passed away in 2008 way too young.

The Moss brothers

Moss Paul Moss joined Wolves in 1978 and was born in Birmingham. He never did make a first team appearance for Wolves but did go onto play for Hull City and Scunthorpe United. He also then played for Worcester City where he was part of a team on 11th December 1982 when Worcester City defeated Wrexham in the FA Cup 2nd Round. They bowed out to Coventry in the 3rd Round. Paul Moss scored both goals in the Second Round against Wrexham. Worcester also got to Second Round the year after. In the 1st Round they beat Aldershot. Paul Moss was also part of that too. Pauls younger brother Craig Moss also played for Wolves. Craig made the first team. Craig joined Wolves in 1977. He like Cavan Chapman was a very young debutant at 17 years and 245 days. On the 11th November 1978 Craig played in our home fixture against Aston Villa in which Wolves lost 4.0. This was quite fitting as Moss was a Villa fan. His next game was the year after in 1979/1980 season. This was also against Aston Villa on 10th March 1980. This was the final game before Wolves travelled to Wembley for the League Final. This game will be remembered as the key game in which Andy Gray served his suspension. If Villa had of drawn on the Saturday in the FA Cup 6th Round against West Ham this game would have been called off and therefore Gray would have been suspended for the final. Ray Stewarts penalty for West Ham in the 89th minute decided the Cup tie at Upton Park. This was a game Barney attended and literally demolished his finger nails. Wolves of course won the Villa game 3.1. Craig Moss played that night at Villa Park where many thought that Dave Thomas would play. Thomas in fact only had one Wolves appearance left in him which was the first leg of the UEFA Cup the season after in Eindhoven. On the 18th April 1981 Craig Moss then played against Manchester City at home a game in which we lost 3.1. On 16th January 1982 Craig Moss then played for one final time against Everton at home. We lost this game 3.0. Moss played for 4 seasons and played 1 game in each of them. He of curse played against the Villa in two of them his boyhood club. Moss then left for Worcester City in 1982.

The Richards brothers

Richards From two Scottish brother in the Deacons, we also have had two Welsh Brothers in Dai and Billy Richards. Both brothers were born in Abercanaid which is a borough of Merthyr Tydfil. Billy was the younger of the two brothers. He joined us in 1927 from Mid Rhonda. He had also played for Merthyr Town by this point too. Billy was an outside forward. He played 31 times and scored 2 goals. Billy Richards left Wolves in 1929 and he joined Coventry City. He served them well for 3 years. Fulham, Brighton and briefly Bristol Rovers were also on the list. Whilst Billy was at Fulham between 1931 and 1935, he made his one appearance for Wales. Billy Richards main chunk of Wolves appearances came in 1927/1928 which is of course was Major Buckley’s first season. This was the season that his brother Dai made his debut. Dai joined us in 1927 from Merthyr Town. He made his first outings in the Wolves first team in 1927/1928 where he played in 3 games and all 3 in the same team as his brother Billy. In 1928/1929 Billy Richards only played 5 times in the league and once in the FA Cup. All of Billy’s appearances this year in the league came in December 1928. The final time the brothers appeared together at Wolves was in Billy’s 1st one of those 5 appearances on 8th December 1928 in the away game at Stoke. This was a game Wolves lost 4.3. Dai Richards was of course the star. Dai Richards was a left half and he played 229 times for us between 1927 and 1935. He was of course part of the group of players that did push us in the right direction. He was a big part in our Division 2 title winning success in 1931/1932 under Buckley. He also was part of the early First Division days under Major Buckley too. Dai Richards went onto play for Brentford, Birmingham, Walsall and Sedgley. He was also capped 21 times by Wales.

The Rowley brothers

Both Jack and Arthur Rowley to put it mildly were goal machines of their generation. Neither of these two men officially played for Wolves however they did appear for us during the Second World War. Both were however born and bred in Wolverhampton too. Both made guest appearances for us in the War Regional Leagues and Cups. Older brother Jack played for Bournemouth and Boscombe and Plymouth Argyle. It was however between 1937 to 1954 and his time at Manchester United where he showed what a top striker he was. His is still one of only 4 players to score 200 plus goals for Manchester United. Bobby Charlton, Dennis Law and Wayne Rooney being the other 3. He played for England 6 times and scored 6 goals. 4 of them came in one game against Northern Ireland. Jack Rowley was part of Matt Busby’s early teams. He also on one occasion scored 5 goals in one game in an FA Cup tie in February 1949 against Yeovil. Jack Rowley did play both legs for Wolves in the 1942 War Time Cup win against Sunderland. He also scored two goals in the second leg at Molienux. Jack Rowley represented Wolves atleast once in 1941/1942, 1942/1943, 1943/1944 and 1944/1945. Jack won the First Division with United in 1952, The FA Cup in 1948 and the Charity Shield in 1952. He also had a go at being a manager and won the Third Division with Plymouth in 1959 and won a promotion from the 4th Division with Oldham in 1963. He also managed Wrexham, Bradford Park Avenue and Ajax very briefly. Young brother Arthur Rowley also played a hand full of games for Wolves during the War years. Arthur was also a prolific goal machine. Arthur began his pro career after the War at West Brom. He then moved to Fulham. He began to become the goal scoring machine when he was at Fulham. It was his time at Leicester City and Shrewsbury where he was truly scoring for fun. Arthur had an explosive left foot. Arthur operated lower down in the pyramid mainly compared to his brother. He won the Second Divisions Championship 3 times. Once with Fulham in 1949 and twice with Leicester in 1954 and 1957. His goal scoring stats are truly unreal. He must have spent as much time celebrating as playing. Both brothers at one point had the nickname the Gunner due to how prolific they were. Mark Rowley their Dad was in his day also a well known goalkeeper in the semi pro ranks. The Rowley brothers never played together in the same Wolves team however.

The Taylor brothers

Frank and John (Jack) Taylor were also brothers who represented Wolves in the 1930s. Both brothers were from West Yorkshire, Barnsley or nearby. Older brother John joined Wolves in 1931. Jack was a full back and made his debut on 1st February 1936 in a 5.0 loss at Griffin Park against Brentford. Taylor played for us until 1938. He was a first team regular in 1936/1937 and 1937/1938. He was of course a big part of the team that was so close to winning the Championship in 1938. Jack made 89 appearances for Wolves. After Wolves Taylor then moved to Norwich City and then Hull City. He actually played for Hull after the War. In 1949 he won the Division 3 North at Hull under the management of Sunderland legend Raich Carter. After this in 1950 he dropped into non-league and became player manager at Weymouth. He then managed QPR before briefly managing Leeds United. He was the last manager at Leeds before Don Revie took over. Taylors young brother Frank joined Wolves in 1936. He actually played the same position as his brother but could also played both full back positions. The two brothers appeared in the same Wolves team on 7 occasions. The first was on 13th March 1937 in our away game at Chelsea. The final time they played together was 16th February 1938 in the home game against Huddersfield Town. As mentioned, Frank Taylor could kick with both feet. When Jack Taylor left for Norwich it was Frank who took his place. Frank then became a first team regular in 1938/1939 and of course his career like many others was then disrupted due to the outbreak of the War. Frank Taylor also played in the FA Cup Final of 1939 against Portsmouth. Taylor did appear during the War for us. He also like his brother went onto be a manager. Firstly, he managed Scarborough before managing Stoke City for 8 years. He took over at Stoke from Bob McGrory who had been at Stoke for 31 years as player and a manager. Taylor tried to get them back in the top flight. He finished 5th in Divison 2 3 times during the decade but could not get Stoke over the line. He was sacked in 1960 and he was so angry about it that he vowed never to work in football again. Before he was manager, he was also an Assistant Manager at Hull City to a manager that he knew well, Major Buckley.

The Bhatti Brothers

And the Bhatti Brothers Of course, we could not end this piece without a brief mention to the Bhatti Brothers. Wolves of course were saved from Bankruptcy in 1982 by a Consortium headed by Derek Dougan and of course Allied Properties. Allied Properties were of course owned by two brothers namely Mahmud Al Hassan Bhatti and Mohammed Akbar Bhatti. This was of course from 1982 to 1986 when Wolves initially won promotion in 82/83 and then were relegated 3 times in a row. This is of course our most turbulent period ever. The Bhatti’s were of course rumoured to be of Saudi Arabian origin however in the end it was revealed this was also a smokescreen as they were of Pakistani heritage. The whole issue of the ownership of course hinged on the redevelopment of the Asda site and this of course never materialised during this period. It did of course in 1986 at the time of the second winding up order. It of course was the key to the Wolverhampton Council/Asda and Gallagher Estate consortium. The Bhatti Brothers were every elusive and only a select number of people ever met them or even spoke to them. There is also only one or two photos of them too. And finally, there may be more as this list isn’t exhaustive. It also could have been more.

The Hibbitt brothers

As we know Terry Hibbitt who is of course the brother of Wolves Legend Kenny had the opportunity to join Wolves in 1963. This of course did not happen as shortly after Terry signed for Leeds United. Bryn Jones also had 4 brothers who played professional football. Peter Knowles also had a famous brother in Cyril who we faced both as a player and a manager. Oh, what could have been. Maybe one day we can sign Lars Dendoncker who has just joined Brighton who is of course the younger brother of our own Leander and how about a double swoop for Paul and Mathia Pogba erm I personally would give that a miss. Thank you to my fellow Tour Guides Neil Pennington and Dave Jones who have helped with this article and also Pat Quirke our Museum Curator.

Author: Mark M

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.